[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new_city_dialog ver 12

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new_city_dialog ver 12
From: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:53:31 -0500

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 02:40:51PM +0200, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> On 2001-10-23 12:49:32, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 07:44:21PM -0500, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > > there's a new version in incoming/ on the ftp site, Daniel will mirror
> > > it soon at
> > >
> > >         http://www.acc.umu.se/~deepone/freeciv/
> > >
> > > changes:
> > >
> > > Another map sensitivity patch by Christian
> > > worklist commit problem fixed (I hope)
> > > a couple of city investigation bugs fixed.
> > >
> > > Unless Christian comes up with any pressing issues, (since he seems to
> > > be the only one looking at it) I would suggest this be applied to CVS.
> > >
> > > Yes, there are sure to still be bugs, but they're not going to get found
> > > at this point until more people start looking at it.
> > >
> > > Maintainers: please start taking a good hard look.
> >
> > Note the using of may and should.
> >
> > In the number of turn in () in the Granaray line: there should be a
> > "-" if the city shrinks and 999 should be replaced by "never".
>
> I like your idea in the later mail better...
>
> > The "City Info" and the "City Map" frame shouldn't enlarge if the
> > window is enlarged.
>
> I'm not sure about this... I think it looks very ok...
>
> > "Unit list" should be "Present unit list".
>
> Ack.

I don't think so. The idea is saving screen real estate. The first time
someone clicks on it and finds that not all units are brought up, he'll
figure it out.

> > "Sentry units" should be "Sentry all units".
>
> Hmm... Or really "Sentry all present units"...
> Hmm... Lets be consistent and make change all the buttons to
> "Activate present units", "Sentry present units" and "List present
> units" - ok?

I would say see above, but this might not be so obvious. It's certainly not
Sentry _ALL_ units because fortified units are not touched.

> > If there are two items in the current worklist and the bottom is
> > deleted the "Up" button is active.
>
> Not if you delete it with double-click... :)
> I'll fix that...
>
> > The wrapping of the happiness texts are still wrapped at the wrong
> > width. You may want to use a fixed layout.
>
> Perhaps, but maybe that can wait? I think it can be added as is then
> someone who thinks that's really ugly (I don't really) can fix it
> later...

As I have said before, I don't know how to fix this. Yes, I've tried
several ways. I'm inclined to say "bug in GTK" cause that's what I think
it is. Going to fixed layout is bad because not only does the text in
the labels change, but other languages (like German) will screw things
totally.

> > "No trade routes exists" isn't centered.
>
> Hmm... It seems centered to me...
> Screenshot?

ditto

> > I'm I correct that the tooltips are used in only one place? For
> > example you may provide tooltips for the units, which show the type,
> > hp, homecity, movements left.
>
> Yes, and in tons of other places in the game... :)
> Actually, with your suggestion of growth info on a seperate row I don't
> think we need any tooltips at all... I'd rather consider covering the
> game in tooltips a seperate project from this city dialog... :)

agree with Daniel. this should be post-CVS (but I think it's a good
idea. This is somewhat in tune with being able to select multiple---but
not all---units in the unit list)

> > In which order are the cities sorted for the next/prev button?
>
> None... It's taken straigt from city_list_*
> I think more advanced ordering here is also a patch that would stand
> well on it's own after this one has been applied...

yes. city_list_* would be a specified order though. (isn't it in order
of addition to empire?)

> > In the worklist tab: global worklists should be called "Worklist"
> > instead of "worklist".
>
> Ack.
>
> > It may be good if the two boxes "Current worklist" and "Available
> > Items" are swapped. This would follow the usual left-to-right flow.
>
> Hmm... Interesting thought...
> I think the layout on that page as a whole would suffer though...
> I'll leave it for now - other opinions? Consider how the buttons would
> be moved along...
>
> > The "Do you really want to sell xyz for jkashd" dialog may be
> > discarded since the player now sees the information.
>
> Hmm... Yes...
> Confirmation might be good but I'm with you... Others?

absolutely, boy it would suck to accidently sell that university that I
just got finished building...

> > You may add the buy information I still would found nice.
>
> Yes, it might take some effort to make right though...
> I probably won't have the time to do this soon and I'd like to see the
> patch finished soon... It's a feature that could be added later of
> course...

agree.

> > If the Granary is "130/130" the number of turns is 0. It should be 1.
>
> Ack.

Daniel, send me the diff that your working on.

> > If the city dialog is already open for a city and the user press
> > "popup" the second time in the city list dialog the existing dialog
> > should come to the front.
>
> Mmm... Perhaps... What should happen in the dialog you were in?
> If it always should do that you would be forced to close the other
> dialog to step on... Also I'm not sure there is a really good and
> standard way to bring a window to the front...

I agree but:
this would seem to me a lot harder than it sounds, since I don't think
that gtk allows you to do this. It may be a window manager thing. Maybe
someone with more GTK knowledge than me care to comment?

> I don't think it's worth the hassel... Not now anyway...

yes.

> > The text in the "city info" frame should be padded with whitespace to
> > have always the same fixed width. This would reduce the resize
> > flickering.
>
> Ok...
>
> > The "Trade" pane should be called "Trade routes".
>
> Ok for now... I think "Trade" is enough if we get cramped for space in
> the "tab row" but that doesn't seem to be the case just yet... :)

again see above on real estate. After the first time someone clicks on
the pane, he'll figure it out.

> > In the "Next time open" choice: replace "City page" with "City
> > Overview Page".

possibly.

> Ack.
>
> > If the misc. settings pane: if the window is enlarged the tooltip and
> > next-time-open frame should enlarge.
>
> Umm... It does for me...
> What gtk version are you using?

I'll comment on the technical stuff in a bit.

-mike