[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] CMA 2.2

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] CMA 2.2
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 15:04:55 +0200

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 02:50:00PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Am Dienstag,  9. Oktober 2001 14:15 schrieb Raimar Falke:

> > > Now that you are talking about this, a related user problem comes
> > > to mind. On net games, it is very difficult to adjust the city
> > > workers in a reasonable way, because of the lack of time. Each
> > > click needs to be confirmed over the net. If you would change this,
> > > i.e. that the changes in used tiles are sent/updated only when the
> > > window is closed, both, this and the above, problems are solved. Is
> > > this possible?
> >
> > No. Because you can't be sure that the tile is really claimed if you
> > close the window. Another city/user may allocated the tile
> > already. What should happen in such a case?
>
> I know. But:
>
>  - It will not happen too often.
>  - There is a solution already implemented. When an enemy unit moves
>    on a worked tile, it is rearranged, I don't know how.
>  - If the window is closed, and the info is rejected by the server,
>    some slight corrections could happen and a message printed out.
>  - You have a similar situation e.g. in case of pollution. The city
>    may get a negative food surplus, but now, you even get no explicit
>    warning.

Ok. *noted at the todo list* BTW here is the current one:

Ideas:
 - extended units statistics
 - extend style guide
   * init vars
       int foo(struct city *punit){int x=punit->x;} or
       int foo(struct city *punit){int x; x=punit->x;}
   * empty line after vars
       int x;\nx=3; or
       int x;\n\nx=3;
   * comments
       x=3; /* assign 3 to x */ or
       /* assign 3 to x */
       x=3;
   * extra {} on iterates
 - move functions comment to header file?
 - settler power instead of move_rate/SINGLE_MOVE

TODO:
 - ffs
 - fast continent iteration (or at least an abstraction)
 - any patch which replaces ids with pointers
 - id to pointers in structs (low priority)
 - vision range
 - s/best=SOME_VALUE/best=SOME_UNUSED_VALUE/
 - struct splitting in client and server
 - remove/tag modifing iterations
 - save worklists
 - add id to struct unittype
 - unit_flag: id arg to pointer
 - s/scaled_intro_pixmap/scaled_intro_sprite/
 - effect of building (client only)
 - s/assert(0)/abort()/
 - persue agent
 - batch city map modification on an open city dialog

I would also like to know how much time is used for the networt round
trip (including the server processing) and the display update. I have
no code to measure this but it should be hard to add such code. There
is such code already in the server for this.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "There are three ways to get something done. Do it yourself, hire someone