[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patches

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bert Buchholz" <bertbuchholz@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patches
From: sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Bauer)
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 18:33:39 +0200

Hi!

> For now:
>   - The fortress provides a larger visionrange (2), as soon as
>     "invention" is invented.
>   - Still, fortresses have no owner, just like now, so everybody, who
>     steps into a fortress, gets enhanced vision (as long as he stays
>     there), no matter who built it.
>   - If a fortress is empty, no enhanced vision will be granted.

Yes, this is great IMO. I like this also because this is not only a cleanup
or another way of writing code. But it enhances the game a bit.

> For the future:
>   - Enemy units must conquer enemy fortresses. They can be conquered,
>     when they are empty, but enemy units must still fight against the
>     fortress (actually against a not-visible, permanent garnison, or
>     something like that). The defense-strength of that garnison could be
>     determined always by the defense-strength of the best land-unit
>     (phalanx, musketeers, rifleman and so on).

But this would make a fortress very strong in defence. In my opinion too
strong (stronger than a city because here you always need a unit to defend
it).

bye,
Sebastian Bauer