[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patches

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patches
From: Bert Buchholz <bertbuchholz@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 18:19:16 +0200

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 04:43:54PM +0200, Sebastian Bauer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> From: "Raimar Falke" <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > [..] A fortress alone may be also capable of watching
> > enemies. Think of the Great Wall and its warning system.
>
> Yes, this would be nice too. But it's probably harder to implement as
> currently the fortresses have no owner, if I'm right.

Yes, that's the problem. As a little fun project, I tried to implement
borders, so I gave the tile struct an int owner; it worked quite nicely
already, but I think, this would be too much for one patch. So, what
about this:

For now:
  - The fortress provides a larger visionrange (2), as soon as
    "invention" is invented.
  - Still, fortresses have no owner, just like now, so everybody, who
    steps into a fortress, gets enhanced vision (as long as he stays
    there), no matter who built it.
  - If a fortress is empty, no enhanced vision will be granted.

For the future:
  - Fortresses will have an owner and will be watching a one-square
    radius around them continously, no matter if a unit is in them or
    not.
  - Enemy units must conquer enemy fortresses. They can be conquered,
    when they are empty, but enemy units must still fight against the
    fortress (actually against a not-visible, permanent garnison, or
    something like that). The defense-strength of that garnison could be
    determined always by the defense-strength of the best land-unit
    (phalanx, musketeers, rifleman and so on).

Those would be my ideas, any further comments, objections, anything?

Bert