Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New city dialog - stage 6

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New city dialog - stage 6
From: Kero van Gelder <kero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:14:18 +0200

> >  - In the City-Tab, there is a field with the type of unit being
> >    built. Perhaps a mentioning of the type is useful, but the
> >    change-button can be scrapped. I think all selecting, building
> >    and buying can be done in the worklist.
>
> Change button is usefull at the beginning of the game when you don't use
> worklist. Raimar has also argumented that worklist can be a bit difficult
> for newbies.

Hm.
At this moment, the worklist is confusing for me.
0) I build a city, which defaults to building a Warrior
1) I select Settlers under Change.
2) The worklist still shows the Warrior
3) I prepend Barracks (applying...)
4) now barracks are built (the Settlers will never get built anymore)
5) close, wait one turn and open
6) change currently build to warriorss
7) change worklist to Pyramids only
8) no apply, but close
9) open; worklist shows two warriors

Either fix the combination, or scrap the Change button.
(Worklist should either _always_ or _never_ show what is currently
being built. Always seems the best option to me.)

Concerning educated users: may be an improved worklist
(mouse-switchable items, instead of Up and Down buttons, etc) would help.

> >    The same argument can probably be repeated for the unit-list.
>
> I added a small present units list to the main ("City") page because it
> appeared that there would be use for it while playtesting.

hence my ``probably'', I am not sure either.

> >    What is left deserves a name like Misc, so another Tab can be put
> >    in front as default.
>
> Which then?

Same Tab as last opened in a City window? Would speed up when you
check a few cities for the same thing (e.g. when switching government)

> >  - In the Worklist-Tab, when making changes, there is an
> >    apply-button. I'd prefer auto-apply, with a button to cancel.
>
> Changes are automatically applied when city dialog is closed. I think
> that's enough, isn't it?

Though it is enough, I think _this_ is something you have to educate the
user for (why is there an apply button, for example?)

referring to Raimars question: Cancel should return to the state when
opening the window. Stepwise should be called Undo, if you wish to
implement it that way.

I notice right now there is already a Cancel Button ;-)
Does exactly what I want!

> >  - In both City and Happyness-Tab, could you move the map from right
> >    to middle? Then it is closer to the overview of numbers on the
> >    left.
>
> I see the advantage, but this isn't so easy to do. The size of map canvas
> is variable and that's because it needs variable amount of space, and
> I want to keep balance with any size of map canvases. And central place of
> "currently building" is important too (that's why I don't want to swap those
> columns). Any other ideas?

Not at the moment, no.
The Map is fixed-size per tileset, no?

--

I am also thinking about what is listed in the leftmost part of the
window. Lots of info, not the highest part of the window; does gtk

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------------------ http://huizen.dds.nl/~kero ---+