Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New city dialog - stage 6

To: kero@xxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New city dialog - stage 6
From: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:41:58 +0300 (EEST)

> > >  - In the City-Tab, there is a field with the type of unit being
> > >    built. Perhaps a mentioning of the type is useful, but the
> > >    change-button can be scrapped. I think all selecting, building
> > >    and buying can be done in the worklist.
> >
> > Change button is usefull at the beginning of the game when you don't use
> > worklist. Raimar has also argumented that worklist can be a bit difficult
> > for newbies.
>
> Hm.
> At this moment, the worklist is confusing for me.
> 0) I build a city, which defaults to building a Warrior
> 1) I select Settlers under Change.
> 2) The worklist still shows the Warrior
> 3) I prepend Barracks (applying...)
> 4) now barracks are built (the Settlers will never get built anymore)
> 5) close, wait one turn and open
> 6) change currently build to warriorss
> 7) change worklist to Pyramids only
> 8) no apply, but close
> 9) open; worklist shows two warriors

Yes, change button should update worklist, I guess that would
take your problem away.

> Either fix the combination, or scrap the Change button.
> (Worklist should either _always_ or _never_ show what is currently
> being built. Always seems the best option to me.)

Yes, I agree.

> Concerning educated users: may be an improved worklist
> (mouse-switchable items, instead of Up and Down buttons, etc) would help.

Please send a patch :) (I'm not that GTK guru)

> > >    What is left deserves a name like Misc, so another Tab can be put
> > >    in front as default.
> >
> > Which then?
>
> Same Tab as last opened in a City window? Would speed up when you
> check a few cities for the same thing (e.g. when switching government)

Maybe... This could be an option too, whether to open "City" or
last tab. I think that "city" can be kind of general tab, where
most important and often used elements are found.

> > >  - In the Worklist-Tab, when making changes, there is an
> > >    apply-button. I'd prefer auto-apply, with a button to cancel.
> >
> > Changes are automatically applied when city dialog is closed. I think
> > that's enough, isn't it?
>
> Though it is enough, I think _this_ is something you have to educate the
> user for (why is there an apply button, for example?)

You may not want to close city dialog every now and then.

> referring to Raimars question: Cancel should return to the state when
> opening the window. Stepwise should be called Undo, if you wish to
> implement it that way.
>
> I notice right now there is already a Cancel Button ;-)
> Does exactly what I want!

Yes :)

> > >  - In both City and Happyness-Tab, could you move the map from right
> > >    to middle? Then it is closer to the overview of numbers on the
> > >    left.
> >
> > I see the advantage, but this isn't so easy to do. The size of map canvas
> > is variable and that's because it needs variable amount of space, and
> > I want to keep balance with any size of map canvases. And central place of
> > "currently building" is important too (that's why I don't want to swap
> > those
> > columns). Any other ideas?
>
> Not at the moment, no.
> The Map is fixed-size per tileset, no?

Of course it must be.

> --
>
> I am also thinking about what is listed in the leftmost part of the
> window. Lots of info, not the highest part of the window; does gtk
> allow to draw some horizontal lines between some items? Explicitely
> showing the grouping would help, I think.

That might be a good idea. I just don't know how to do that.

--
Best regards, Tuomas Airaksinen <tuomas.airaksinen@xxxxxxxxxx>
              For That Matter: http://tuma.cjb.net/