Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions

To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions
From: Marco Colombo <marco@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:56:33 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Mike Jing wrote:

> Marco Colombo <marco@xxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
> >Maybe I can put it in another way: IMHO you're just "overloading" the
> >meaning of unhappiness. It's true it has a role in limiting vertical
> >expansion. Now you're using it to limit horizontal expansion as well.
>
> Sorry, but I can't take credit for the idea.  This is how it is done in
> Civ2, albeit in a more relaxed form.  I haven't bothered to make it closer
> to Civ2 behavior because I am not sure it would be worth the trouble since
> nobody seems to like the idea to begin with.  But I still think it's the
> right idea.
>
> >Yup. What has made such attempts fail? The Roman Empire was close to
> >conquer the known world at that time. And *corruption* was on of the key
> >factors in its fall... people unhappiness played a role only in Rome itself
> >(that was so *vertically* expanded!)
>
> I am sorry, but please spare me the "RL" argument.  I am sure we would all
> be happy under the rule of the great Roman Empire.
>
> Yeah, right.

If you realize how big it was, given the tecnology of the time,
you can't say happines was a problem. There were no means to enforce
any kind of military control over such a big territory. This is OT,
anyway, so let's drop it.

BTW, I've never (seriosly) played at CivII. I'm told that unhappiness
penalty applies only to newer cities when you go over a certain number.

I'll drop this discussion until I come up with some results and useful
patches. As a Linuxer, I like coding more that talking... B-)

.TM.
--
     /      /       /                   Marco Colombo