Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions
From: Eric Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:53:42 -0500

Niels> Mathias Broxvall wrote:
>> Yes, I was using somewhat extreme values just to demonstrate my
>> point that it feels wrong that the larger population you have in a
>> city, the harder it becomes to expand it (ignoring celebrations
>> completly). Assuming availability of a food surplus it seems
>> logical that a huge metropolis should grow *faster*, not slower
>> than a small town.

Niels> Just one thing: The growing foodbox makes perfect sense if you
Niels> consider that one unit of population isn't always the same
Niels> number of people.  A size one city consists of 10.000 people, a
Niels> size 7 city of 280.000 people.

Niels> So I think we should take into account those population
Niels> numbers. I don't know how yet but this could perhaps be another
Niels> attempt to stop smallpox.

Well, given that the growth wrt food is, I think, quadratic, you could
multiply production/trade by the citysize, and get quadratic
production.  This would simulate population density increasing as the
city grows as well as the city covering more territory.  multiplying
food by the citysize would be unwise (since then excess food would
grow with city size, and from a "realism" standpoint, food production
is land limited, not so strongly dependant on labor.

Just a rough calculation, but it seems that the production gained from
using N food would be constant this way.  (table below) This might,
with the cost of the settlers, and the food lost that way make big
cities totally dominate small ones, but that might be more amenable to
tweaking...

size workers product food used
1    2       2       10
2    3       6       30