Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions
From: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 10:36:09 -0500

At 19:59 01-03-03 -0500, Mike Jing wrote:
Marco Colombo <marco@xxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
Maybe I can put it in another way: IMHO you're just "overloading" the meaning of unhappiness. It's true it has a role in limiting vertical expansion. Now you're using it to limit horizontal expansion as well.

Sorry, but I can't take credit for the idea. This is how it is done in Civ2, albeit in a more relaxed form. I haven't bothered to make it closer to Civ2 behavior because I am not sure it would be worth the trouble since nobody seems to like the idea to begin with. But I still think it's the right idea.
<snipped>
Mike

Hello, Mike,

I agree with your efforts to curb ICS, and with the importance you accord happiness as a game play element.

Civ2 is very explicit (and not at all "relaxed") with respect to the relationship between the number of cities and unhappiness.

First of all, when a new city is founded, its initial citizen is content ( in the continuum happy/content/unhappy); additional citizens will also be also content, at lower levels of difficulty. At Deity, level, the second and successive citizens are unhappy. At the next lower level (Emperor) , the third citizen and successive citizens are unhappy, and so forth.

After this, the number of cities you have is checked in order to see if you have exceeded the "Riot Limit"; past this limiting number of cities, every citizen who appears in this turn will be set unhappy. So the citizen who started out content at step 1, above may turn unhappy before it appears in the city display. This limit (number of cities) is a function of the difficulty level (from Chieftain to Deity) and government type. Higher difficulty levels and higher governement types translate to a smaller number of cities that you can control
before additional citizens arrive unhappy, rather than content.

It makes controlling (un)happiness extremely important at the higher levels, especially when a city riots for 2 successive turns and your empire is throuwn into anarchy -disastrous, but fascinating. That's why I now never play a game without attempting to get Shakespeare's theatre (for the military benefits) !

Robaire