Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: As if we needed another ics solution...

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: As if we needed another ics solution...
From: Michael Hasselmann <michael.hasselmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 13:33:41 +0100

Reinier Post wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 04:14:53PM -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > I haven't looked through the code to see how feasible this is, but...
> >
> > perhaps adding (as a server option of course) a production penalty might
> > be a solution.
>
> Isn't this the 'production waste' that Civ II apparently has?

Isn't it easier to add a bonus in order to make ICS less successful
instead of restricting cites too much?

This ICS discussion seems to go for ages now. I'm somewhat afraid that
we'll never get to an end 'cause there are just to many people thinking
they have found the right solution for all our problems.

Well, I'm the one who definitely has the solution, and - seeing this
discussion becoming more and more stupid - I ask myself whether you ever
really tried it out the patch before pollutiong this mailinglist with
any further complaints: My metropolis bonus patch! It is certainly in
the meaning of the KISS(S)-principle, but its effects on gameplay is
therefore awesome.
In short: It adds 10% (changeable) to trade and production everytime a
city grows. This way a size 12 city with library can easily have up to
100 (!) research points, not mentioning the boost in production.
It is perhaps easier for you to accept a bonus than further restriction
(like any corruption penalties or unhappiness), although I think that my
metrobonus-patch gets even more interesting with Mike Jing's unhappiness
patch, as your bigger cities now can easily spend some luxury without a
scientifical breakdown.

Also see my earlier posts on this:
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200102/msg00365.html
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200101/msg00135.html

So please try out my patch. Maybe we can get back to gaming then ;-)

ciao Michael Hasselmann