Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Something is wrong.

To: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Lance Levsen <l.levsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Something is wrong.
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 Mar 2001 10:14:47 +0000

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At some point in the past couple years, I seem to recall some
> gettext problems; and it was said that in addition to config.cache,
> there was another file somewhere that needed to be removed if
> gettext was installed after ./configure had already been run once.
> Unfortunately, the mailing list archive host seems to be down right
> now, so I can't search for it.  If you haven't done so already, you
> might want to "rm -rf" your whole extracted freeciv source
> directory, then re-extract it.

There is the infamous intl/libintl.h -> intl/libgettext.h symlink.
This will be created if you ever configure Freeciv to use the included
gettext or if configure decides that your system's gettext is not good
enough.  Unfortunately, if you ever reconfigure Freeciv to use the
system's gettext, the symlink is not removed.  This results in the
wrong libintl.h being used.

The usual symptoms of this breakage are unresolved symbols a la
'dcgettext__' etc.  However, the gettext in glibc 2.2+ has had a lot
of changes compared to the included one, and there's no reason why you
shouldn't be able to get even more and more interesting breakage this
way...

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I feel real SOPHISTICATED being in FRANCE!