Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Something is wrong.

To: Lance Levsen <l.levsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Something is wrong.
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 10:41:40 -0500

Lance Levsen (l.levsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> This is why I brought it up, I have gettext installed. msgfmt is available in
> /usr/bin,  configure failed to locate it.
>
> I don't have a gmsgfmt though, I was running a Debian unstable, I downgraded
> to stable and up to a pristine testing  install. Same problem.

I'm running Debian unstable here.  Here's the output of "./configure":

[...]
checking whether included gettext is requested... no
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for gettext in libc... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for dcgettext... yes
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
[...]

And in case it matters:

ii  gettext        0.10.35-17     GNU Internationalization utilities
ii  gettext-base   0.10.35-17     GNU Internationalization utilities for the b

At some point in the past couple years, I seem to recall some gettext
problems; and it was said that in addition to config.cache, there was
another file somewhere that needed to be removed if gettext was installed
after ./configure had already been run once.  Unfortunately, the mailing
list archive host seems to be down right now, so I can't search for it.
If you haven't done so already, you might want to "rm -rf" your whole
extracted freeciv source directory, then re-extract it.

If none of this is helpful, then please post the relevant section of
"config.log", so we can see exactly where configure is failing to detect
gettext.

--
*** Please note new address. -->  |  Greg Wooledge
"Truth belongs to everybody."     |  http://wooledge.org/~greg/
  Red Hot Chili Peppers           |  old page: http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/