Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Kiermaier <michael.kiermaier@xxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:59:13 +0000

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 01:24:24AM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:32:14AM -0800, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> > >
> > > Big cities should be able to build more than one thing per turn.
> >
> > Shouldn't all cities be able to produce more than one unit per turn if
> > the shields were available?   Otherwise we are just dealing with more
> > micromanagement.
>
> Just checked it. No. Only one unit is build per turn. Probably Sid
> Meier hasn't choosen this without reason. There are probably balance
> issues attached with this.
>
> An explorer costs 30 shields. A city larger than size 8 produces more
> than 30 shields. How fast can a city be pushed up to size 8 or 9?

Given that the point we're trying to address is the counter
undesirableness of size 8 or 9 cities, it doesn't sound unbalancing to
me.

Consider that the current system is yet another reason to prefer 2 x
20 shield producing cities that 1 x 40.

Of course, it might be nice to have a tech advance and/or improvement
which allows multi-production.

While we're on this subject, I wonder if there could be a land
improvement (for lack of a better word it could be called an oil
pipeline) which is very expensive to build (e.g. 4 turns with an
engineer) but when you connect two cities with it, it transfers
(perhaps not all, perhaps not 100% efficiently) shield production from
one to the other.

Obviously these would be a first target for enemy pillaging. (might
make pillaging more exciting).

'Realistically' you might even expect railways alone to have this
effect.  I suppose it could be a land improvement built on top of
railways, called 'industrial rail link' or something rather more
interesting than that..

Jules