Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: The central point on problem of ICS

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: The central point on problem of ICS
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:14:58 +0100

torsdagen den  1 mars 2001 03:55 skrev Martin Olveyra:
> I insist in the suggestion that the settler unit has to be splitted.
> Also, the addition of a unit who can carry food and shield will led to new
> posibilities (may be the caravans can do this). This makes that food and
> shield could flow to big cities, so to develop the big cities, which are
> the most important for the nation advance.

Here is a way to make ICS harder by making city founding more expensive:

* First a terraforming unit buils all the terrain improvements that you now
  get for free when you build a city. That seems fair.

* Then you to bring a caravan to the tile. This represents the building
  materials. The terraforming unit uses the building materials and the result
  is an uninhabited city.

* Then you move a population unit into the city and it becomes inhabited.
  Make sure that no enemy population unit reaches your empty city first!

The terraforming unit remains but the caravan and population units are
consumed. As usual, several terraforming units can cooperate. Population
units can also flee from cities when they are under attack or become
conquered. Attacking population units is an atrocity and lowers the
reputation/integrity a lot.