Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] "KISSS (Keep it Small and Simple, Stupid)"

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] "KISSS (Keep it Small and Simple, Stupid)"
From: Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:40:25 -0300

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001, Michael Kiermaier wrote:

> so i think we should give it a try, since the "free city center" also got its
> chance. and it should not be too hard to implement. my further thought was
> that
> if some changes are done to the settler unit, we could also do the change to
> split it up into two units. this was discussed some time ago, and it seemed to
> me that noone disliked this idea.
I fully agree at this point.
Also, observe that, if the settler takes 2 workers, what happens if you want to
send settlers from one city to another? This action would loose efficience.

For those who thought that implementing the flux between cities would imply
some major changes:
We have the caravan, which already do this with shields (actually, only with
wonders, so minor changes are required)
We have the settler, which already do this with food.
Some minor problem is that the player has to deal with caravans and settlers for
this function, but the automation tool I suggest will reduce the job. (code near
completion).

For those who thought in very complex ways to solve the ICS problem (including
me):
We have to split the settler in a worker and a colonization or
(inhabitants increaser) unit (minor changes in rulesets)
We have to eliminate the free city center (minor changes on the code)

"KISSS (Keep it Small and Simple, Stupid)"