Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: comments on ics solutions
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:02:35 +0000

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 02:45:05AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 06:23:31AM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:
>
> > Thank you.  :-)  That's what frustrates me the most: people just don't seem
> > to see the benefit of marketplaces/banks.  But I guess I can't blame them.
> > Those things are absolutely unnecessary under default rules.
>
> True; I didn't know they had any effect on luxury.

Actually, I use them all the time.

But my playing strategy is badly suboptimal, I know. Since I've never
played over the 'net, I've never been trashed as I deserve. I grow my
cities large, and I use marketplaces and banks all the time, both for
money and their luxury effect.  I control almost all my unhappiness
with banks (and a luxury rate).

That's a more fun strategy for me, and it's sufficient to beat the
hard AI.

Funnily enough, I don't use librarys, though. By the time I can
economically afford to build them, I seem to already be ahead in the
science race, so there's no point.

Jules