[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug/PATCH: Fortresses can be built in cities (PR#662)

To: Freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug/PATCH: Fortresses can be built in cities (PR#662)
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:58:43 -0500

Marko Lindqvist (caz@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > BTW, fortifying inside a city has no effect either:
> > >
> > > 504 if ((defender->activity == ACTIVITY_FORTIFIED ||
> > > 505      map_get_city(defender->x, defender->y)) &&
> > > 506     is_ground_unit(defender))
> > > 507   defensepower*=1.5;
>
>  It's even documentet feature. From Help->Combat:
>
>  - Finally, if the defender is a ground unit, and is either
>                                                      ^^^^^^
>    fortified or inside a city, its strength is multiplied by 1.5.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It should be noted that the help text was written that way because it
was taken directly from the behavior of the source code.  The help text
wasn't a design specification -- it's a simple C-to-English translation
of the game code.  (I know this, because I wrote that text.)

I wish I knew the exact formula for defense strength in Civ2 -- but
I don't.

--
*** Please note new address. -->  |  Greg Wooledge
"Truth belongs to everybody."     |  http://wooledge.org/~greg/
  Red Hot Chili Peppers           |  old page: http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/