[Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server

To: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:10:52 +0100

On Monday 22 January 2001 13:50, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> Gaute B Strokkenes writes:
>  > On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>  > > I have put the win32 common and server stuff into a diff.  I hope it
>  > > is clean enough to go into CVS. I have tried building linux version
>  > > after applying the patch so it should not break anything.  The code
>  > > is based on my 1.11.4 windows stuff, so it should be well tested. I
>  > > hope that at least the server of the mostly used binary distribution
>  > > can be build directly from cvs soon. (autoconf stuff is included).
>  >
>  > I notice that you're patching the stuff in intl/ quite extensively.
>  > While a lot of your changes are quite sensible (using stdio rather
>  > than file descriptors directly, for instance) I don't think it's
>  > desirable to fork GNU gettext.  I think you'd be a lot better of by
>
> What do you mean? I have only changed the file descriptors and some
> "don't run as root" stuff. I have never called fork() which does not
> exist on windows (It is only in cygwin.dll). Or have you looked
> accidentially in a file which is not in intl/

from http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/fork.html :

In the open-source community, a fork is what occurs when two (or more)
versions of a software package's source code are being developed in parallel
which once shared a common code base, and these multiple versions of the
source code have irreconcilable differences between them. This should not be
confused with a development branch, which may later be folded back into the
original source code base. Nor should it be confused with what happens when a
new distribution of Linux or some other distribution is created, because that
largely assembles pieces than can and will be used in other distributions
without conflict.

Forking is uncommon; in fact, it is so uncommon that individual instances
loom large in hacker folklore. Notable in this class were the
http://www.xemacs.org/About/XEmacsVsGNUemacs.html, the GCC/EGCS fork (later
healed by a merger) and the forks among the FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD
operating systems.

(end)

I haven't looked at the code in question at all, but wouldn't it be better to
get your modifications into the official gettext?

-Thue