[Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:15:03 +0100 (CET)

Thue writes:

 > Forking is uncommon; in fact, it is so uncommon that individual instances
 > loom large in hacker folklore. Notable in this class were the
 > http://www.xemacs.org/About/XEmacsVsGNUemacs.html, the GCC/EGCS fork (later
 > healed by a merger) and the forks among the FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD
 > operating systems.
If I understand it right it is a bit like the current state of
freeciv (the patched windows version)

 > (end)
 >
 > I haven't looked at the code in question at all, but wouldn't it be better
 > get your modifications into the official gettext?
AFAIK the original gettext avoids using fopen, fread and fclose to
avoid polluting the namespace (There are comments concering on this in
the intl dir). I don't have any documentation which restrictions write
and read on windows really have. Perhaps it is some 16bit stuff which has
problems when reading big portions.

An alternative is to use gnu-intl.dll which is a port of gettext to
windows. I had problems which the version I contributed with freeciv
(It is there to satisfy the dependencies of gtk-1.3.dll).
But I want to carry tons of sources with me. And that thing depends on
glib!
I have not tested the new version of it, which is contributed with the
recent win32 gtk stuff.
The function to determine the locale is in glib.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade