[Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server

To: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Jan 2001 15:13:16 +0000

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Gaute B Strokkenes writes:
>  >
>  > I notice that you're patching the stuff in intl/ quite
>  > extensively.  While a lot of your changes are quite sensible
>  > (using stdio rather than file descriptors directly, for instance)
>  > I don't think it's desirable to fork GNU gettext.  I think you'd
>  > be a lot better of by
>
> What do you mean? I have only changed the file descriptors and some
> "don't run as root" stuff.

As I said, most of the changes are fairly sensible.

> I have never called fork() which does not exist on windows (It is
> only in cygwin.dll).

That's not what I'm talking about; see Thue's reply.

> Or have you looked accidentially in a file which is not in intl/
>
>  > trying to adapt the minimal gettext that the Amiga port uses.
>  > Then you don't have to worry about environment variables either.
>  > 8-)
>
> I don't think that's a good idea. bindtextdomain is full of AmigaOS
> calls and I would have to rewrite it completely.

bindtextdomain() is an utterly trivial function.

> Determining the locale on AmigaOS is more complex than on Windows

No, it's not.  You open the locale library, obtain a handle for the
default locale and then you look inside the default locale to see what
the language is.  You then map the language to the file name, and open
it.  Just about the only difference is that the AmigaOS returns a
string to identify the language and Windows an enum.  No big deal.

> (I have experience in AmigaOS programming).

As have I.  Gave it up some years ago, though.

> For windows we have only the few calls in init_nls we need to do
> it. We would have a lot of code twice if we had a special gettext.c
> for windows.

The point is that the special code is already there.  The only thing
you have to do is move it to the common directory and add appropriate
#ifdef and configure magic to make sure there is no stomping of toes.

There's going to be a new GNU gettext release Real Soon Now(tm) which
incorporates lots of changes that have been made to the master source
in the GNU C library in the meantime.  Amongst other things, there is
now rudimentary plural support.  Unless we want to drag around our
own, custom changes to gettext forever, we will either have to follow
my proposal our you will have to convince the glibc people to
incorporate your changes, something that will a) take a lot of time
before it is reflected in a release and b) involve lots of work for
you changing the code the way that the glibc people want it.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I hope you millionaires are having fun!  I just invested half