[Freeciv-Dev] Translation of array entries?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Translation of array entries?
From: Gerhard Killesreiter <killes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:52:05 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

As I mentioned recently, there exist different sytems for transliteration
of some non-ascii alphabets, say cyrillic. This depends on the langauge
you want to read the transliteration in, e.g. English vs. German.

When I tried to mark some city entries in russian.ruleset, they showed up
in de.po alright, but for some reason the transliterated entries are not
seen in the game.

In investigated this end ended in common/registry.c

There the different structures that can be read from rulesets are defined.

One finds:

  - Gettext markings:  You can surround strings like so:
      foo = _("stringvalue")
  The registry just ignores these extra markings, but this is
  useful for marking strings for translations via gettext tools.

and

  - Vector format: An entry can have multiple values separated
  by commas, eg:
      foo = 10, 11, "x"
  These are accessed by names "foo", "foo,1" and "foo,2"
  (with section prefix as above).  So the above is equivalent to:
      foo   = 10
      foo,1 = 11
      foo,2 = "x"
.
.
.

However, it is not mentioned, that entries of the vector-format could be
translated. If not, what would be neccessary to achieve this?

If is already possible, what have I done wrong?

Cheers,
        Gerhard