[Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: win32 server
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:50:20 +0100 (CET)

Gaute B Strokkenes writes:
 > On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 >
 > > I have put the win32 common and server stuff into a diff.  I hope it
 > > is clean enough to go into CVS. I have tried building linux version
 > > after applying the patch so it should not break anything.  The code
 > > is based on my 1.11.4 windows stuff, so it should be well tested. I
 > > hope that at least the server of the mostly used binary distribution
 > > can be build directly from cvs soon. (autoconf stuff is included).
 >
 > I notice that you're patching the stuff in intl/ quite extensively.
 > While a lot of your changes are quite sensible (using stdio rather
 > than file descriptors directly, for instance) I don't think it's
 > desirable to fork GNU gettext.  I think you'd be a lot better of by

What do you mean? I have only changed the file descriptors and some
"don't run as root" stuff. I have never called fork() which does not
exist on windows (It is only in cygwin.dll). Or have you looked
accidentially in a file which is not in intl/

 > trying to adapt the minimal gettext that the Amiga port uses.  Then
 > you don't have to worry about environment variables either.  8-)

I don't think that's a good idea. bindtextdomain is full of AmigaOS
calls and I would have to rewrite it completely. Determining the
locale on AmigaOS is more complex than on Windows (I have experience
in AmigaOS programming). For windows we have only the few calls in
init_nls we need to do it. We would have a lot of code twice if we had
a special gettext.c for windows.
The comment
/* can we delete envstr */ does only mean that I'm not sure if I had
to declare envstr static. But declaring it static does not hurt.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade