[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug/PATCH: Fortresses can be built in cities (PR#662)

To: Freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug/PATCH: Fortresses can be built in cities (PR#662)
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:41:26 -0600

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 07:58:43AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> >  It's even documentet feature. From Help->Combat:
> >
> >  - Finally, if the defender is a ground unit, and is either
> >                                                      ^^^^^^
> >    fortified or inside a city, its strength is multiplied by 1.5.
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> It should be noted that the help text was written that way because it
> was taken directly from the behavior of the source code.  The help text
> wasn't a design specification -- it's a simple C-to-English translation
> of the game code.  (I know this, because I wrote that text.)
>
> I wish I knew the exact formula for defense strength in Civ2 -- but
> I don't.

        The Civ 2 manual states that fortresses cannot be built on city
squares.  (P. 107).  Logically, it doesn't make sense to allow this, as
City Walls exist for the purpose of improving city defense.  (The only
reason I can ever think of for doing this is to disband the city later and
still have a highly defensible spot.)

        I beleive that adding the 50% simply for being in a city is a
bug, and that that bonus should be given only to fortified units.

        In other combat strength bugs, I think that the Pearl Harbor/Shore
Bombardment work never got completely fixed, either.  (One was fixed, but
not the other, right?)
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."