[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug/PATCH: Fortresses can be built in cities (PR#662)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug/PATCH: Fortresses can be built in cities (PR#662)
From: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:25:30 -0500

At 11:44 01-01-31 +0000, SamBC wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> At 07:58 01-01-22 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
<SNIP>
> >It should be noted that the help text was written that way because it
> >was taken directly from the behavior of the source code.  The help
text
> >wasn't a design specification -- it's a simple C-to-English
translation
> >of the game code.  (I know this, because I wrote that text.)
> >
> >I wish I knew the exact formula for defense strength in Civ2 -- but
> >I don't.
>
> Does this look at all like what you need?
>
>          "The following equation is used to decide the outcome of combat
> between two units:
>
> attacker's Attack Factor / ( (attacker's Attack Factor) + (defender's Defense Factor) )
> ( in the text, a table of "Attack and Defense Factor Bonuses" follows)
>          Note: Defense bonuses are cumulative. Each defensive bonus is
>          calculated using the unit's base Defense Factor."

nyeh-hah! Just what we'd want... or something for us to approximate to,
in any case...

I don't understand your reaction here, so I won't comment ...
> The bonuses are then all added up, and the result is then rounded
down.

Added up arithmetically, or compounded?

SamBC

Each individual bonus is calculated using the unit's base Defense Factor,
then all of the computed bonuses are arithmetically summed,
and finally the result is rounded down.

Here is the full text of an example from the book:

(Begin quote)
  For example, a fortified Veteran Phalanx in a city with
  City Walls has an effective Defense Factor of seven versus
  most attacks. This is calculated as follows:

  Phalanx base Defense Factor = 2
  Bonus for Veteran status = 1
  Bonus for fortification = 1
  Bonus for city walls =  4
  Effective Defense Factor = (2 + 1 + 1 + 4) = 7
  Fractional results are always rounded down.
(End of quote)

The Defense Multiplier values used to compute the bonuses were from a table :
Unit is a Veteran unit 50%
Defending unit is Fortified 50%
Defending unit is behind City Walls 200% *

* Does not apply versus Howitzers, air units, or sea units

I hope that's of some use to you,

Robaire