[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug/PATCH: Fortresses can be built in cities (PR#662)

To: "Greg Wooledge" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Freeciv dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug/PATCH: Fortresses can be built in cities (PR#662)
From: "SamBC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:27:01 -0000

<Due to email program weirdness (yes, Outlook Express), original text
not included>

<Greg Wooledge enquired as to combat bonuses in CivII>

Off the top of my head, I am fairly sure percetages were acumulated
arithmetically, so two lots of 50% is 100% bonus, not 1.5*1.5=2.25 =>
125% bonus.

I mis-remembered the 'defensive unit' thing, as they had a bonus against
'cavalry' type units only - sorry.

Further, bonuses were (to my knowledge):

0.5    Fortification
0.5    'spear' flag defending against 'horse' flag
1        City walls or Fortress

And I beleive defending on rivers was a 0.5 bonus as well. Fortresses
and Cities could not coexist.

So, if all that is right, a 'spear' unit fortified in a fortress on a
river would get +2.5 = 3.5 multiplier = +250% bonus.

If we are willing to believe that SMAC is faithful to the original Meier
design, and trim off things specific to SMAC, we could use that to
investigate.

Again, this is all IIRC...

SamBC