Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:29:57 -0500

Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think war is only one way to play the game...
Sure, freeciv can be a war game and I don't want to remove that
option but I myself prefer the simulation (and roleplaying?) aspect
and I think freeciv is well suited to get a good (=fun) simulation...

Thank you.

I think what we really need is a good interface to the server where
You could very easily pick between a few gameplay-styles... I think
what we are arguing here really is what style should be default... Everyone wants their favourite to be default so that it can be played
with ease and tried by others... I don't think anyone really minds if
there is an option to play freeciv in another way? If there was a good interface there could be several styles to choose from and still
be easy, if done right... (styles != scenarios)

That's an excellent point, but the problem is more than just the interface. I believe the game mechanics has to be modified in order to allow for playing styles other than ICS. That's why I wrote this patch. It is not the end of the story and more changes are surely needed. Of course, I am not trying to take away anybody's choice to play ICS -- there will always be that option if you want to.

Mike