Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center

To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:09:06 +0100

On 2000-12-13 17:49:42, Mike Jing wrote:
> Paul Dean <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I like the no free city-center.
> >I don't like the unhappiness.  I like the idea best of making the
> >improvements much more powerful.  That would be very straightforward
> >as well - just a change in rulesets...?
>
> Maybe a little more complicated than that, but shouldn't be too hard to
> change.  But the worry is that the benifit of city improvements would always
> come in too late to make any difference unless expansion and/or research is
> slowed down significantly.

I did a patch to do that once... Think I sent it to this list...
If You set the benefit of city improvements high enough You get a
totally different game... :) (Like a library multiplying Your science by
10 - then it's sucide to have a city without a library :)
This is totally a tweak though, I never tried to justify it in any other
way than that it was interesting to try...

> Another thing that has been discussed before is to separate the
> city-founding and terrain-improvement functions of the settler and make the
> city founder much more expensive.  This will certainly slow down the
> expansion, while making terrain improvements relatively easier, which could
> encourage better city development.

I did this too and it should be in CVS (since long ago)
You just need to edit the ruseset - and add another unit...

> In any case, the key here is to make expansion more difficult, one way or
> another.  Of course people won't like that because currently the only way to
> win is to expand like crazy, and old habits die hard.  Without some kind
> check on that, it will be very difficult to pursue any alternative
> stategies.

People should have no problem with it if they still have what their used
to easily accessible... But it certainly should be understood that the
game can be a lot different with some easy tweaks... This is not a bad
thing - we need some very easy way for people to try different settings
- just to get awareness of the possibilities...

It's not a hard thing to do really - someone just has to do it... :)
Unfortunatelly You have a hard time justifying doing stuff like this to
Yourself when You have so much else You should do first...
Much easier to justify answering mails - that doesn't really take any
time, right? ;)

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)