Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center
From: Paul Dean <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Dec 2000 20:37:19 +0000

"Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Now there is no choice because you don't stand a chance in hell
> against an ICS player unless you use ICS yourself.
>
> I agree that long games are impractical.  But surely we can find ways
> to speed up the game without sacrificing gameplay.  And I do hope
> Freeciv is more than just a war game.  Otherwise, we should just tell
> those who complain about the lack of city development to shut up and
> learn ICS and how to wage war (maybe exactly the point you want to
> make?).

No that's not my point at all.  I think you're doing a valuable job.
I'm not a very good programmer myself.  I've only done some changes to
the client to make the UI a bit easier for me, but I wouldn't submit
it because my code stinks!

I wholeheartedly agree that more ways to succeed should be made
available.  I just want to be careful that they're the right
ways... just offering my opinion.  I like the no free city-center.  I
don't like the unhappiness.  I like the idea best of making the
improvements much more powerful.  That would be very straightforward
as well - just a change in rulesets...?

--
Paul
http://www.redeemed.org.uk/