Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center

To: Paul Dean <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:11:37 +0100

On 2000-12-13 10:05:54, Paul Dean wrote:
> Freeciv is not SimCiv.  It is more than making a nice empire of
> cities, roads and improvements.  It's a war game.

I think war is only one way to play the game...
Sure, freeciv can be a war game and I don't want to remove that option
but I myself prefer the simulation (and roleplaying?) aspect and I think
freeciv is well suited to get a good (=fun) simulation...

I think what we really need is a good interface to the server where You
could very easily pick between a few gameplay-styles... I think what we
are arguing here really is what style should be default... Everyone
wants their favourite to be default so that it can be played with ease
and tried by others... I don't think anyone really minds if there is an
option to play freeciv in another way? If there was a good interface
there could be several styles to choose from and still be easy, if
done right... (styles != scenarios)

> The ICS strategy
> means that new players will lose quite spectacularly until they learn
> to use it.  But after that they will still lose spectacularly until
> they learn to express their creativity in warfare.  But that is OK - a
> game in which new people can compete with experts is a game in which
> there is nothing thing to learn.
>
> Now I don't mind getting rid of smallpox, but I wouldn't want the game
> to turn into an 8 hour SimCiv.  Essentially it is a war game, and of
> course *very* few people can often spare 8 hours in a single stretch!

That's sad... I really hope that if You really want to You could spare
8 hours in a single stretch on a weekend...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)