Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: iquin@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:11:15 -0500

From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ½²«íµØ <iquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
CC: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 22:54:53 -0500

½²«íµØ (iquin@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Can you produce settlers for expansion with citysize=1?

Under Despotism or Monarchy (or Communism) you can use military units
in the city for martial law.  Just keep a Warrior or Phalanx in the
city and you'll still be content at size 2.

That's correct. You need to use martial law unless you set the luxury rate sky high.

Under Republic/Democracy... well, that's where it gets "interesting".
;-)

Actually, it is still possible to produce only settlers with unhappysize=1 under Republic if you set the luxury rate high enough. That's why the small pox strategy still works even if you set empire_size_inc to 1.

I just had another idea: how about making it an option to adjust the distance allowed between cities. It used to be 0 as in Civ1. Now it's 1 as in Civ2. If it is possible to set it to 3, I suspect that smallpox will be much less useful. Of course, this should be just an option, so people who want to stick to their old playing style still have the choice.

Mike