Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 23:50:41 -0500

It turns out the minimum distance between cities can already be adjusted in game.ruleset. I tried a value of 4 (the current default is 2, meaning 1 tile between cities) together with the "maximun unhappiness" settings (unhappysize=1, cityfactor=10, empire_size_inc=1), and some of the AI's actually built some big cities -- up to size 20. I don't know how often this happens under normal settings, but I suspect it will be rare because the AI tends to build cities a bit closer. So this could still be a quick and easy way to cure smallpox.

I have been reading the Apolyton Civ2 Forums all afternoon and found a wealth of information in their new "Great Library" section. It turns out the "smallpox syndrome" is a well-known strategy in Civ2, known as ICS, or Infinite City Sleaze. It is very effective even on the Deity level, due to the reason we have discussed earlier. It just goes to show how little I know about the game.

Mike