Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:23:38 -0500

From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:46:54 +0100

> The infrastructure system of Civ CTP certainly comes to mind. Ie,
> invest production in "public works" that can be used buy terrain
> improvements instead of having to micro manage lots of settlers.
> This would favour citygrowth (no per settler food cost) and lessen
> the realworld time needed to build improvements.

This could be implemented as a later stage improvement (eg. 'public
works' could allow a palace/wonder-like building that enables the
feature).  In the beginning, micromanagement is nice; in a later
stage, it takes too much time.

Agreed.  This is a good idea.

> Also it would be nice with better automatic micromanagment of
> cities. Ie, let the player activate routines for cities such as
> automatically making entertainers from workers in unhappy cities,
> automatically placing surperflous entertainers back into the
> fields, choose to favour food or industrial production for the > routines and possibly even to automatically build caravans
> with a "goto" to build a traderoute. Again, choose strategy: Trade
> with local cities or distant empires?
>
> Have these ideas been mentioned earlier?

As far as I'm concerned, this falls under 'client side AI' which has
been discussed many times before ...

Indeed, this feature is sorely needed. Let's face it, micromanagement is unavoidable in the game. Might as well let the computer do all the dirty work since it doesn't get bored. Of course, anything with the word 'AI' in it is not going to be easy to code. Probably why it hasn't yet been done.

Mike