Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:36:35 -0500

From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:49:45 +0100

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 11:50:41PM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:
> It turns out the minimum distance between cities can already be > adjusted in game.ruleset.

!

This should not be too much of a shock since it used to be controlled by the 'civstyle' option, which is now becoming obsolete with the intruduction of game.ruleset.

> the "smallpox syndrome" is a well-known strategy in Civ2, known as
> ICS, or Infinite City Sleaze.  It is very effective even on the
> Deity level, due to  the reason we have discussed earlier.  It
> just goes to show how little I know about the game.

Or anyone else who cares to discuss it here :)
It also shows the rulesets should be explored more ...

Indeed. I think many gameplay issues could be resolved by fine-tuning existing options in the current rulesets rather than introducing new rules. And we still have much to learn from the original.

But how?  Something like 'tournaments' to test settings woould be
nice. But we may need to attract more players first.

This reminds me: recently the freeciv.org servers seem to experience periods of extreme lag during gameplay, which makes it even harder to stick with a game. Any idea what the cause might be?

Mike