Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: Paul Dean <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Dec 2000 22:12:48 +0000

"Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi again,
>
> More comments below.
>
> >Personally, I don't think that unhappiness is the key to encouraging
> >players to have a smaller number of larger cities.
>
> I beg to differ.  Please do give it a try and see what you end up
> with.  Use unhappysize=1 (very important because 2 won't slow down the
> expansion nearly as much) and cityfactor=10 (which gaives you around
> 10 cities to work with).  You also have to edit the government.ruleset
> to set empire_size_inc to 1 for all forms of goverenment.  Let me know
> if the smallpox strategy still works (even against the not so smart
> AI).  Then build ssome big cities and see the difference.

It certainly works against the AI, and easier than before.

I played as two civilisations(one smallpox and one big cities) and had
an AI as a control.  Smallpox was so far ahead in terms of tech that
it was ridiculous.  So you need 40% luxuries, but so what?  The
big-city guy is using only a fraction of the number of tiles that you
are.

Having said that, it *does* give a different sort of civilisation; one
where you bother to make temples and to defend your cities and one
which has slower growth.

On the other hand, don't you just hate trying to get unhappy people
happy?  I find it irritating and it has more micromanagement.  Having
played it, I do agree with you, though, that the default settings are
not unhappy enough...

--
Paul
http://www.redeemed.org.uk/