Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 21:58:35 -0500

I played as two civilisations(one smallpox and one big cities) and
had an AI as a control.  Smallpox was so far ahead in terms of tech
that it was ridiculous.  So you need 40% luxuries, but so what?  The
big-city guy is using only a fraction of the number of tiles that you
are.

I just tried it also. Indeed, at the beginning, the number of cities are far too important because of the free city center. Also, now in Freeciv, the effect of empire_size_inc is to reduce the number of content citizens in the city before any other factors are applied, therefore it has no real effect when there is no content citizens to start with. This means it is still possible to expand using the smallpox strategy without any further panelty once you get past cityfactor. But if it was done right and intruduce "very unhappy" citizens, 40% or even 100% luxury won't be enough if you try to expand too far. Even though one may get ahead for a little while, it doesn't pay off in the long run. So I still think this is the right way to go. Of course, this means even more unhappiness, and it seems nobody likes that. Oh well.

Mike

Mike