Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 18:14:39 -0500

It certainly works against the AI, and easier than before.

So the AI can't handle it, but this is more due to the weakness of the AI than anything else.

I played as two civilisations (one smallpox and one big cities) and had an AI as a control. Smallpox was so far ahead in terms of tech that it was ridiculous. So you need 40% luxuries, but so what? The big-city guy is using only a fraction of the number of tiles that you are.

I have never used the smallpox strategy myself so I could be totally wrong. It may still be possible to circumvent the limit put on by increased unhappiness using the same trick. Or maybe you are simply not growing your cities fast enough.

But this gives me an idea along the lines of your proposal, but in the other direction. Since the problem comes from the fact that two size 1 cities use 4 tiles while one size 2 cities could use only 3, why can't we simply make the city use only as many tiles as its size, but the city center gets 2 extra food instead? I know this may be a radical idea and may fundamentally change the game, but if happyness doesn't help, this seems to be a logical possibility.

Having said that, it *does* give a different sort of civilisation; one where you bother to make temples and to defend your cities and one which has slower growth.

If this is not an angument for it, I don't know what is...

On the other hand, don't you just hate trying to get unhappy people happy? I find it irritating and it has more micromanagement. Having played it, I do agree with you, though, that the default settings are not unhappy enough...

It doesn't necessarily cause more micromanagement if you get your strategy right. Sure people may not like it at first, but this is an integal part of the game. The way it is now, it is not even an issue, and you almost never have to set your luxury rate above zero, so why do we have it in the game at all?

Mike