Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:18:31 -0500

Hi Paul,

You made a very good point. However, I think you really have to try it out before making up your mind. The main reason this actually will work is that it slows down the game significantly, and as Asher correctly argued in another post, you HAVE to slow the game down to encourage city development, and increasing unhappiness is a simple and elegant way of doing this. Apart from that the game may possibly take longer (though not necessarily in real time terms because it actually reduces micromanagement due to fewer cities), it has only benefits.

As for the happiness wonders being too powerful, I have to disagree. All the global wonders actually benefit more if you can build more and more cities. However, if you enable an empire_size_inc of 1, the effect of Michaelangilo's will be cancalled by a mere three more cities. Moreover, if we introduce a 'popfactor' to take into consideration of the additional unhappiness caused by total population, it will furthur limit of the usefulness of these wonders. What this does is to force the player to improve the land, build more marketplaces/banks and use luxury to counter the unhappiness, which in turn encouage bigger cities, and all in all makes a much more balanced game.

A slower game will make the early wonders more useful simply because for one thing they will not expire so quickly anymore. This opens a whole lot of other possibilities. For example, the Great Library will let you set a lower science rate and put more money into luxury, which brings about happiness just as the happiness wonders do. And with bigger cities, science wonders such as Copernicus' and Newton's become much more important and have the same effect. Not to mention A. Smith's, which saves you a lot of cash in tax dollars now that you actually do build city improvements (it's still not overly powerful because you don't have as many cities), which also could be turned into luxury. Therefore, the game is actually more balanced instead of the other way around. To be sure, Michaelangilo's will still be very important, but in fact the playing field will actually be leveled compared to the way it is now.

I don't pretend to be an expert in Civ2 gameplay. Almost everything I learned so far I first raed from somewhere else. But the more I look at it, the more obvious to me that this is the way the game is intended to be played. By this I DO NOT mean there is only one correct strategy, but that these changes will put all aspect the game into play and enable a number of equally viable strategies instead of simply expanding to oblivion. I strongly believe it will actually balance the game instead of unbalance it. It will be hard to get rid of those old habits, but in the end it will be a much more rewarding experience.

Mike