[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: Growing cities

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: Growing cities
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:52:45 -0400

--On Monday, 28 August 2000 10:56 AM +0200 Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 06:38:49PM +0300, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Jules Bean wrote:

> Anyhow, didn't someone submit a patch for this a few months back?  I'm
> sure I remember a patch which made the city_radius vary from 1 to 3,
> at least.

(That would be

  http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200001/msg00112.html

.)

Right now I've got some half-finished code which could be used to give each city (or unit, or hypothetical watchtower, or any square, really) its own 'neighborhood', with arbitrary sizes and runtime-selectable shapes (e.g. square, diamond, circle), where iteration (spiraling outwards, specifically) can be done very efficiently. Maybe if cities' workable areas grew with the cities' size, and the foodbox size were reduced or made constant (instead of proportional to the city's size) and the unhappyness restrictions on large cities were relaxed, then there might be more of an advantage to playing with fewer, larger cities.

--Jed, who doesn't have much free time right now, though.