[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: Growning cities

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: Growning cities
From: Ashley Penney <ashp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:19:53 +0200

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 10:32:57AM -0400, Greg Wooledge said:
> Raphael Bosshard (whistler@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > Idea/suggestion:
> > Cities get more squares as they grow.
>
> Activision's upcoming game "Call to Power II" is supposed to have
> this feature.  We may want to wait and see how they implement it.
>
> (From what I've read, they do away with the concept of tile workers.
> The city works *all* the squares of its radius, with the resources
> collected dependent on what's in the tiles, and how much of a workforce
> you dedicate to harvesting resources (as opposed to Entertainers etc.).)

Hmm, I'm not so sure this is a good concept.  The minute this is implemented,
it changes the entire state of play.  In fact, over the next few months as
ships are extended to two tiles, and other size changes creep in, it'll turn
FreeCiv into a totally different game.

Hmm, I'm not good at putting this into words, but I worry that FreeCiv will
turn into Emacs, filled with absolutely everything anyone could think of.

What would be a good idea is for everyone to sit down and think about what
they want from FreeCiv.  Do they want a game like Civilisation, or do they
want a much more realistic game, moving away from tiles.

Rather than having a city spread over more squares, it would be a hell of a
lot more interesting to totally remove the concept of tiles, and simply
assign the units a "scouting distance", so a explorer could only see 50 foot,
while a catapult could see much further (being much taller).

Anyway, I'm just throwing out some random ideas as I've seen mumblings about
redesigns, total changing of tech structure and so forth.  Is FreeCiv always
going to trail behind the "offical" games, or will you go for it and lead the
field? :)

--
Ashley Penney | ashp@xxxxxxxxxxx
"People who claim they don't let things little bother