[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: Growning cities

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: Growning cities
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:43:47 +0200

Steve Hodge wrote:

> Jules Bean wrote:
> >  Not that long ago, someone pointed out that doing away
> > with tiles completely was the only totally elegant solution to the
> > 'map freeciv onto a sphere' problem.  I think a tileless freeciv would
> > be a nice thing to have.
>
> Well you can do pretty well mapping hexagons to a sphere. It's something
> I'm toying with at the moment. Basically, the way I'm doing it,
> regardless of the number of hexagons you want (valid numbers are
> 30*n^2-10) you have to have 12 pentagons. The two obviouos options for
> dealing with those is to either make them holes in the map, or handle
> them normally. Being able to handle an arbitrarily connected network of
> cells wouldn't be a bad thing for FreeCiv.

I found some info (pictures) about this at:

 <http://www.rickleephoto.com/mosaicfresnel.htm>
 <http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~swrgrgry/buckyball/buckyball.html>

(The last page claims to show a shere with 630 hexagons. I can't get
that number with your formula. n=4 gives 470 hexagons and n=5 gives 740
hexagons.)