[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: Growning cities

To: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: Growning cities
From: Steve Hodge <shodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 09:42:51 +1000

Jules Bean wrote:
>  Not that long ago, someone pointed out that doing away
> with tiles completely was the only totally elegant solution to the
> 'map freeciv onto a sphere' problem.  I think a tileless freeciv would
> be a nice thing to have.

Well you can do pretty well mapping hexagons to a sphere. It's something
I'm toying with at the moment. Basically, the way I'm doing it,
regardless of the number of hexagons you want (valid numbers are
30*n^2-10) you have to have 12 pentagons. The two obviouos options for
dealing with those is to either make them holes in the map, or handle
them normally. Being able to handle an arbitrarily connected network of
cells wouldn't be a bad thing for FreeCiv.

Regards,
Steve Hodge