[Freeciv-Dev] Re: scripting (was: Plans for 1.12)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: scripting (was: Plans for 1.12)
From: Dan Sugalski <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:52:29 -0400

At 05:48 PM 6/27/00 +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> Script-writing is something that's generally more annoying than useful for
> most people, so I don't think you'll find too many folks doing it.

Don't forget that it could also be used to program default functionality
bundled with the distribution.

Right, which is what this bit (which was snipped) was for, more or less:

Our job ought to be making sure the bindings are available and easily usable so those scripts that are written can be easily used. If that's the case I think you'll see reasonably heavy script usage, though not necessarily heavy script writing.

Though if default functionality is done via a scripting language it means either requiring one of the languages that've been discussed or implementing a simple scripting language as a default. I'm all for a good, general-purpose scripting interface--it'd probably be a simple (more or less) extension to the generalized AI interface that's been discussed on and off.

Heck, we could have regular FreeCivWars pitting different AIs against each other like the old CoreWars tournaments.

                                        Dan

dan@xxxxxxxxx                         have teddy bears and even
                                     teddy bears get drunk