[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12

To: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Dan Sugalski <dan@xxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:47:43 +0200

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 01:04:11PM -0500, Tony Stuckey wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 01:38:22PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > Most of the folks that'll use this won't really care what language it's
> > in--they'll be using black box scripts and probably just make sure that the
> > scripting engine they need (be it perl, python, scheme, TCL, or whatever)
> > is installed.
>
>       Right.  Most people won't care.  The big issue with scripting
> languages at all in commercial games is that less than 1% of your players
> ever want to modify the game.  Very little reward for a relatively large
> effort in game design/programming/quality assurance terms.  And there's the
> continuing hope/myth that a well-defined and programmed game won't *need*
> the kind of massive repetition that scripting languages address.

Remember that UNIX-people are completely contrary to ProprietaryOSes-people
on this specific point.
On UNIX, programs are multi-purpose, reusable, little tools.
On ProprietaryOSes, programs are one-purpose, independent, huge
``applications''.

So, I think that freeciv, as UNIXish civilization, shouldn't be any monolithic.
Much more than 1% of users will modify THIS game.