[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12

To: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Dan Sugalski <dan@xxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12
From: Steve Hodge <shodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:57:09 +1000

Tony Stuckey wrote:
>         Even of those who care, most will ignore a language with a tortured
> syntax.  PERL can certainly be cryptic and lame.  An application defined
> language can look more like:
>
>         Set goto of unit 15 to find_nearest_city()
>         or
>         Tell Howitzer at 12,17 to attack Rifleman at 12,18
>
>         Or something that is plainly obvious what it does.  Expressivity
> does not have to be incredibly limited.  One case that the general-purpose
> language people have to make is that the benefits (people already know it
> from elsewhere, proficiency in the language is useful elsewhere, etc) are
> greater than the clarity and specificity benefits that a proper
> application-defined language can provide.

I generally agree. The one issue I have is that whatever we choose needs
to be able to handle fairly large projects (as in big chunks of AI), so
it'll need to allow a fair amount of structure. I think I'd vote for the
'binding API' idea where we can plug in whatever language we want.

Regards,
Steve Hodge