[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:38:31 -0400

--On Monday, 26 June 2000 13:04 -0500 Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 01:38:22PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
Perl's reasonably simple to embed into an existing application, so
that's  not a big deal. Given the feelings folks have for particular
languages  (We've had perl and Scheme. Python'll probably be next, then
someone'll  want C for speed) it might be better to come up with a
general API and  dynamic loading scheme and let whoever wants to embed
things just go do it.

Sounds like a good idea if we can't decide on only one system; maybe we could even get generalized GUI controls for assigning which script functions get run on what things when (i.e. when one of my cities is attacked, apply foo_defense to it).

         People who use C are smart enough to realize that it's really dumb
to use it as a scripting language. :)
         The big argument with scripting languages is whether to use a
general purpose one, or an application-specific and defined one.  Both
have good and bad points.

Or use the general-purpose language, where other people will kindly maintain the implementation, and just write a parser/unparser (or maybe this is more like a complier?) for the specialized application-specific one; the user (or script) can choose which language to use.

--Jed