[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12
From: Dan Sugalski <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:38:22 -0400

At 12:45 PM 6/26/00 -0400, Jed Davis wrote:
Although I know Perl, I have no experience with its facilities for being embedded in existing applications (I don't even know if such a thing exists), so I can't comment there.

Perl's reasonably simple to embed into an existing application, so that's not a big deal. Given the feelings folks have for particular languages (We've had perl and Scheme. Python'll probably be next, then someone'll want C for speed) it might be better to come up with a general API and dynamic loading scheme and let whoever wants to embed things just go do it.

Most of the folks that'll use this won't really care what language it's in--they'll be using black box scripts and probably just make sure that the scripting engine they need (be it perl, python, scheme, TCL, or whatever) is installed.

                                        Dan

dan@xxxxxxxxx                         have teddy bears and even
                                     teddy bears get drunk