[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:42:21 -0400

--On Monday, 26 June 2000 17:54 -0400 Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  The Lisp syntax is much more simple and consistent than anything
  C-derived, with Perl being maybe one of the worst offenders I've seen.

As much as I like Perl, I have to agree; the syntax makes C++'s look simple.

  It's not 5 minutes, but you can probably find at least one at
http://www.schemers.org.  A somewhat technical introduction is at:
ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/cs345/schintro-v14/schintro_toc.html

  I recently worked on a project with someone who learned Scheme
  overnight when I asked if he would be able to pick it up.  Of course,
he didn't know or understand the deep structure of Scheme, or the many
tricks and idioms that are available.  If you can get those in Perl from
a 5 minute course, I'd be amazed.

I somehow doubt that it's really 5 minutes; of course, with Perl there are at least half a dozen ways to do any given thing, so there's a big difference between knowing enough of the language and knowing a lot of the language.

> 4) Guile is very easily embedded from C application. I don't know about
> perl, but in most cases I've seen the opposite there - perl calling
> into C code (like the JNI java methods). How easy is to embed perl and
> calls single functions for evaluating things etc ? How well would perl
> garbage collector interacts with C memory management in freeciv ? (I
> don't know answers so maybe it is not a 'against' argument)

Guile has a garbage collector too.

  Yes, but it respects the C stack, which makes it very easy to embed.
  Perl, if it's anything like Python, will require you to clutter the
code up with lots of refcounting cruft.

Specifically, Guile uses a mark-and-sweep GC, which requires only a single bit here and there, which is (somehow) quietly extracted from the typing system.

--Jed