Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: autosettler patch (was: Multiple patches)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: autosettler patch (was: Multiple patches)
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 08:55:52 -0400

At 2000/05/30 07:39 , Jeff Mallatt wrote:
>At 2000/05/30 03:16 , Robert Rendell wrote:
>>Do people ever test changes to the AI against itself, hacking the server so
>>that one AI uses the new strategy and the other(s) use the old, and trying
>>a few all-AI games?  I guess that would be an ideal use for client-side
>>AIs, but it would be do-able in the server as a temporary playtesting
>>measure.
>
>I never have, but it's a good idea.
>
>So good, that I had to try it.  Using a favorite regression-test save game
>(saved in 4000 BC), I hacked the code so only one of the weaker civs used
>the new algorithm.  Oops!  He died _sooner_ than normal.  I want to run
>more tests, but may come to the conclusion that 64:32 will be better than
>96:48 or 128:64.

I ran a few permutations -- more would be nice, but the few I ran seemed to
vaguely indicate that larger numbers (128:64, 96:48) are bad (not very, but
somewhat).  This could be completely wrong, given the few games I ran, but
I decided to use 64:32 in the patch -- this most closely mimics the old
behavior.

Attached is a fixed and adjusted patch.

jjm