Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple patches

To: Daniel Zinsli <s830+priv@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple patches
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 18:22:36 +0200

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 03:03:17PM +0200, Daniel Zinsli wrote:
> Robert Rendell <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > meltdown.diff
> >
> >     Implements nuclear meltdowns, a la Civ and Civ2: cities in disorder
> >     that contain a nuclear plant are in danger of suffering a meltdown
> >     (lose half the city's population and the nuclear plant, and pollute the
> >     surrounding countryside).  Discovering another tech (Fusion Power, in
> >     the patched ruleset files) makes nuclear plants safe.
>
> Great, I've missed this one. You lose all units in the city too, i
> presume?

Don't do it.
This only adds more randomness (read: iritates users).

Anyway, it never happened to me when I was playing civI nor civII,
so I assume it wasn't really implemented or chance was *really* tiny
(or I had a Fusion Power before building many NukePlants).

> >     * Spaceships are only destroyed if a capital is taken while the
> >             ship is in orbit, not after it is launched.
>
> I still like the original behaviour, because you then have the ability
> to take their capital after their ship launches.
> If we have the above behaviour, the only way to win if the other side
> launches is to build a faster spaceship.
> It's logical too, if you take their control-central, they can't control
> the ship remotely anymore :)

It's not logical.

a) control center is not in capital (EU has one in Guyana(South America,
   not in Europe), US in Florida, Russia in Kazahstan(not in Russia)).
b) ship has to be self-controled due to enormous lags.
c) orbit is not in capital, so mini-destroying isn't logical either.