Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war

To: Daniel Zinsli <s830+priv@xxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue.kristensen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:33:44 +0100

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000, Daniel Zinsli wrote:
> I really like the fog of war patch.
>
> However, one thing that I'd like to see is to stop updating city info on
> cities under the fog.
> That is, if I see a size 4 city which is under the fog, it might grow
> to size 5, but since its under the fog, I should still see size 4.
>
> Is this hard to implement?

Note that you also see fx new roads on fogged lands, and new cities appear.

If each player were only sent information he could see he would in effect have
his own minimap (ie player 1 sees the city as size 1, player 2 ses size 3,
etc). These would have to be stored on the server and in savegames (cause else
if the client disconnects and reconnects we wouldn't know what to send him).
We would have to save a city size, if the city have city walls as the player
sees it, and what improvements (and type) the terrain has. Each tile on the
client map would also have to have a date, because when 2 players exchange maps
the one who has most recently seen the tile should have his knowledge sent to
the other (this could be the turn number).

Not that hard, but It was easy to do the unit part first. I would also like to
see what I have got go into the CVS before I do more (*nudge*nudge*).
Apperantly it has been tested and found stable. :)

-Thue